The Deep Blue project aims at developing skills, building capacities, and enhancing the geopolitical dialogue in the Western Mediterranean region through increased international scientific cooperation (Science Diplomacy).
It focuses on the main concerns related to the sustainable Blue Growth in the marine environment, such as the development and sharing of tools for monitoring and assessing environmental impacts of specific maritime activities and the use of marine spatial planning through the ecosystem-based approach.
Advanced training for local authorities, municipality officers and representativesof the private sector, on marine spatial planning and its application for fisheries and aquaculture.
Venue: Italy. Lead: OGS
Training-of-trainers for young professionals in the field of marine sciences on environmental monitoring techniques to manage the environmental impacts on fisheries and aquaculture.
Venue: Tunisia. Lead: US
Advanced training for trainers on the effective management and sustainable development of fisheries resources.
Venue: Tunisia. Lead: ISPAB.
Professional and Research mobility: Job Shadowing programme for young professionals in the marine and maritime field (PhD students, researchers, high-qualified professors).
Venue: Mediterranean Lead: UPM
Study Visit to the “Trieste System” a hub for science, business and society interactions in a wide geographical area such as Northeast of Italy and Central Eastern Europe during the European Science Open Forum (ESOF 2020). Venue: Italy. Lead: OGS
- Consolidate a network of Western Mediterranean partner countries higher education institutions, research centres and private companies in the marine and maritime sector;
- Establish new innovative ideas based on collaborations from public and private stakeholders;
- Share existing data and adopt common methodologies in field related to marine science;
- Promote the mobility of young professionals in the region, increasing brain circulation and exchanging good practices in the sectors related;
- Raise awareness on Blue Economy challenges and opportunities across the Mediterranean;
- Increase the visibility of the scientific work in fields related to Blue Growth.